2017 Tentative Dates
Classical Voice: March 6, 7 (Mon - Tues)
Venue: Penticton United Church
Captain: Lisa-Anne Palfrey 250-809-2657
To contact Captain by email Click Here
It is the responsibility of competitors and teachers to follow the Rules & Regulations of the Festival. Entries are the responsibility of competitors and teachers. Errors or omissions are not the responsibility of the Festival.
All disciplines run at the discretion of the Festival, dependent on sufficient entries.
Check Scholarship Page for Scholarship requirements and other available awards.
See Qualifying Requirements for the Provincials
Additional rules pertaining to Classical Voice:
1. All music must be published.
2. Photocopied music may not be used in the Penticton Kiwanis Music Festival without the written permission of the copyright holder (composer or publisher). “Permission to Photocopy or Transcribe” letters and “Authorized Music” copies must be with the Music at the competition. Second copies transcribing music to another key will not be permitted unless authorization is given by copyright holder. The Canadian Federation of Music Festivals has now deemed it permissible to use photocopies for page turns as long as the original copy is present at the performance. There must be two original copies present in the competition hall. Any competitor or accompanist violating copyright laws will be immediately disqualified.
3. Please state age and singing grade level of the competitor on the entry forms. Incomplete and erroneous forms will be returned.
4. Class numbers are determined by singing grade, (excluding vocal ensembles, choirs, and non-competitive entries) and will be further subdivided by age groups as follows:
Junior A - ages 10 years and under
Junior B - ages 11 - 14
Intermediate - ages 18 years and under
Senior - 19 years and over
5. Competitors must compete at the same singing grade level in all solo classes. (Excluding non-competitive entries.)
6. Use the current RCM or Conservatory Canada syllabus for all list classes. “Own Choice” classes are encouraged to use RCM or Conservatory Canada pieces, and where applicable, Canadian composers. “Own Choice” repertoire must be consistent in difficulty with the competitor’s selected singing grade. The Music Festival Committee trusts the integrity of teachers and performers to comply with this regulation. If, for any reason, an adjudicator finds repertoire unsuitable in a singing grade level, the adjudicator has the right to refuse marks.
7. Competitors are responsible for providing their own accompanist.
8. Non-Competitive Classes - any competitor may enter any class as non-competitive. They will be given adjudication but will not be eligible for any certificates, cups, awards and/or scholarships. The class will be scheduled as determined by the festival.
9. The Music Festival Committee respects the right for all competitors to have a performance setting void of distractions and interruptions. Persons not showing courtesy and respect to the competitor will be removed from the performance venue and disciplinary action may be taken by the Music Festival Committee.
10. See Scholarships page qualifications necessary in order to receive scholarships, certificates, trophies and medallions.
All competitors will be given an adjudication and a mark for each performance and will be eligible for appropriate certificates, cups, awards and/or scholarships
All competitors will be given an adjudication only
A student of any level, 29 years and over
Junior level - ages 14 & under, voice grade 1 - 7 $17.00
Intermediate level - ages 18 & under, voice grade 4 - 10 $18.00
Senior level - ages 19 & over, voice grade 7 - ARCT $19.00
Concert Program - Intermediate and Senior, Grade 4 & above only $33.00
Duet, trio, quartet and ensembles $10 per person
Family Group (duet, trio, quartet or ensemble) $17.00 per entry
Workshop $15 (When applicable, workshop registration is at the venue; no pre-registration available.)
CLASSICAL VOICE CATEGORIES
List A - Own choice selection from RCM or Conservatory Canada Board Syllabus
List B - Own choice selection from RCM or Conservatory Canada Board Syllabus
Additional Repertoire - Own choice selection excluding sacred or folk song
Art Song - Own choice selection from a recognized Art Song Composer, Lieder excluded. To be sung in original language. Grade IV and above only.
Baroque - Own choice selection of a composer of music of the Baroque period (1600-1750) Examples: JS Bach, Handel, Couperin, Lully, Scarlatti, Caldara, etc.
Canadian Song - Own choice selection from a recognized Canadian composer, not contemporary or folk music. List available from the Canadian Music Centre at (604) 734-4622
Traditional Folk Song - Own choice selection from a traditional folk song (arrangement only) of any nationality, sung in original language or English translation. Accompaniment optional. Solo instrument only
Twentieth & Twenty First Century - Own choice selection from recognized classical twentieth & twenty first century composers.
Sacred Song, Classical - Own choice selection excluding Oratorio
Sacred Song, Contemporary/Gospel - Own choice selection from recognized contemporary or gospel sacred composer. Piano accompaniment only.
Lieder - Own choice selection from a recognized German Lieder composer, to be sung in the original language. Vocalist only will be adjudicated. Intermediate and above only.
Opera - Own choice selection from any standard opera. Original key. Recitative where applicable. Original language. List source of selection after title on the entry form. No Opera is permitted in Junior classes. No Operatic Arias of the Post Baroque era are permitted in the Intermediate classes. Operatic Arias are permitted in Senior classes.
Operetta - Own choice selection from any “Gilbert and Sullivan” or recognized operetta. Costumes & simple props optional. List source of selection after title on the entry form. Intermediate and Senior, Grade VIII and above only.
Oratorio - Own choice selection from a standard oratorio (or major sacred work for Senior Category only). Original key. Recitative, where applicable. Original language. List source of selection after title on the entry form. No Oratorios of the Post Baroque era permitted in Intermediate classes Oratorios are permitted in the Senior classes.
Concert Program - Own choice. A balanced mini-recital of THREE pieces of contrasting period and mood. Musical Theatre not accepted. Time limit: (15 minutes, Intermediate Level) (20 minutes, Senior Level). All selections must be consistent with performer’s grade level. Intermediate and Senior, Grade VI and above only. (Pieces will not be adjudicated separately, and are not eligible to qualify separately for awards.)
Voice Workshop: TBA
Junior A - ages 10 years and under / Junior B ages 11 - 14
Introductory Grade to register with Grade I & II. Introductory Grade RCM and Conservatory Canada Syllabus Gr. I and II list songs should be entered in List A and/or B. Age categories are 10 and under Junior A and 14 and under Junior B. Please register in the vocal categories by Voice Grade (Grade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) and then by age: 10 and under Junior A; or 14 and under Junior B.
Ages 18 years and under
Please register in the vocal categories by Voice Grade (Grade 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10).
SOLO PERFORMER (Ages 19 and over)
Senior Vocal classes will be subdivided by age and Grade level. Age groups will be 19 - 28 and 29 and over.
Senior vocalists wishing to be considered for Provincial Class must enter an Opera class and/or an Oratorio class. Senior vocalists wishing to be considered for National Classes must enter an Opera class and an Oratorio class singing from a major Sacred work.
Please register in the vocal categories by Grade (Grade 7, 8, 9, 10, ARCT or Equivalent). Competitors age must be indicated on the entry form.
VOICE ENSEMBLE CLASSES -- COMPETITIVE
One entry form per performance, with all singers' names, accompanied by full entry fee.
If competitors are different ages, they shall compete at the higher age level.
Please ensure that competitors' ages are on the entry form. Classes will be subdivided by age as deemed appropriate by the committee.
DUET, TRIO, QUARTET, OR ENSEMBLE
No selection from operas are permitted in this class
2. OPERETTA, GILBERT & SULLIVAN, OPERA
DUET, TRIO, QUARTET, OR ENSEMBLE
For competitors 15 years and over only. One selection from operetta or Gilbert and Sullivan or Opera. Opera. Minimum Grade 7. Costumes and simple props optional. PLEASE LIST THE SOURCE OF SELECTIONS AFTER THE TITLE ON THE ENTRY FORM.
3. ADDITIONAL REPERTOIRE
DUET, TRIO, QUARTET, OR ENSEMBLE
No selections from Opera are permitted in this class. (Costumes and props optional.)
Updated: October 15, 2015